All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Granola Bars - another way to eat whole grains



This is not really bread, but it does use a whole lot of whole grains (including a bit of whole wheat flour), so I felt it was appropriate for my blog.  And I was only going to blog it if I liked the result.

I use a few granola bars when I go to work: I find them convenient to eat.  But I have been worried about the high fructose content, the high salt content, and the additives in the granola bars that I buy.  So that's why, when I stumbled upon girli chef's Groovy Granola Bar Recipe, I felt I had to at least try it.


Of course, I used what I had on hand: I didn't have any hazelnuts, so I used almonds, and I didn't have enough for 1/2 cup of them, so I added pine nuts to make up the difference; and I didn't have enough pumpkin seeds, so I added some sunflower seeds.  The same with my millet: I didn't have enough so I made up the difference in quinoa.  I think that this is the idea behind Girli's 'Groovy Goodies' anyway, i.e. to use up what you have.  I forgot about the shredded coconut until just now when I was writing this up.  It probably would have added something to the mix to make it better.  Perhaps it would have held together better.

That is my only complaint: perhaps I didn't press the ingredients together well enough, but the granola is fairly crumbly.  I thought that freezing the bars might help, so I've tucked them away in a freezer.

They are very tasty.



Notes to Myself:
  • Use the grains you have on hand.  But don't forget the coconut next time!
  • Really press these bars together.  Use superstrength.  Use a wooden block.  Press harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment