All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Pizza #4 - spinach baked in the barbeque


Another Lahey-like, thin-crust pizza, baked on the barbecue.

I oiled the round stone and spread out the dough.  My wife had some spinach parboiled and wanted me to use it up; she also wanted tomato sauce on this pizza.

Toppings:
  • oregano
  • rosemary
  • tomato sauce
  • parboiled spinach
  • olives
  • mushroom pieces
  • garlic
  • mozzarella
  • old cheddar

I arranged many mushrooms around the very edge of the pizza where I suspected it would otherwise burn on the barbecue.  Again I did the double stone technique.  This time I let it cook 10 minutes without looking, after a preheat that put the temperature upwards of 600 degrees F.

Results:

My wife really liked it.  Personally, I think that the crust could have been cooked a trifle longer, by as much as 3-5 minutes.  Also, I didn't particularly care for the rosemary or the garlic.  Everything else was fine.  I overdid it on the mozzarella at her request, so that the other toppings wouldn't burn.  The mushrooms on the edge were also covered with cheese, and this actually worked very well to keep the edge from burning.


Notes to Myself:
  • Preheating the barbecue on max for 10 minutes to more than 600 degrees F. is key, as is not opening the lid so that the temperature remains at these extremely high levels.  
  • If the cheese well covers the toppings, you can cook it using this double stone technique for 10 minutes without concern for it burning.  Next time, try 15 minutes to see if the bottom develops a crustier texture.
  • The barbecue is a trifle hotter at the back, and the cheese does begin to scorch at 10 minutes; therefore, you may want to turn the top stone 180 degrees for the final 5 minutes, even though you will lose a bit of heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment