All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Everyday Bread #27 - HBin5 Rye Bread


Another quick bread, from the folks who gave us Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  This is one of their rye breads - the only change being I skipped the caraway seed and baked it in the long thin loaf pan.  I put sunflower seeds on it, and some cracked rye flakes.  I am getting to like the tinier slices that come off these thin loaves -- and I like the fact that they don't spread sideways like they would have if I had made a free form batard shape.




I have recently read that rye loaves should not be cut until a day after baking. Rye improves with age, I have heard.

Of course, I cut the loaf the same day. It is a bit gummy the first day: maybe that is what the source I read meant when it said to leave it sit overnight.

Notes to Myself:
  • You aren't learning anything new with these 'Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day' loaves.  They are primarily just filler when you don't have time for a real 'learning' loaf.  I'm still suspicious of the extra Vital Wheat Gluten.
  • Remember to wait a day before cutting into a rye loaf - it requires this to develop the full flavour (I've read)

No comments:

Post a Comment