Children must play, and so must home kitchen bakers sometimes. This is just one of those episodes of playing in the kitchen, to see what I might get. I just picked some ingredients at random and tossed it all together to see what might happen.
I was still thinking about that 123 idea, and wondering if I had used 3 parts of water by mistake, on the last "loaf". I decided that for this experiment, I would toss some ingredients in, using 1 part eccentric flour, 2 parts whole wheat flour, and 3 parts water. With no other thought in my head than that as a roadmap, I began collecting ingredients.
- (1 part) 92g barley flour
- (2 parts) 184g wwflour
- (3 parts) 276g water
The first ingredient I picked out of the cupboard was some whole barley. I used about 1/2 a cup of this, whole, which I measured to be 92 grams once I had run it through a coffee grinder to mill it into flour. I measured the whole wheat flour on a scale: approximately 1 1/4 c made 184g. So the water needed to be 276g, and that was about 1 1/4 c, minus about 2 tsp. This was step 1.
- (1 part) 60g 8grain cereal (~1/2 c)
- (2 parts) 120g rye flour (~ 1 c)
- (3 parts) 180g water (~200ml or 1 3/4 c - 2 tsp)
For step 2, I boiled the water with the 8 grain cereal just to boiling, then removed it from the heat and waited about 5-10 minutes and then stirred in the rye. I kneaded it into a ball and let it sit another 5 minutes.
- 7g Salt ( 1 1/2 % of the total flour weight)
- 5g Yeast ( 1% of total flour weight)
- 5g Homemade yeast (another 1% of the total flour weight)
Here I just mixed all ingredients together -- the salt and yeast together with what I had in step 1 and step 2. The dough from step 2 is still warm, but the water from step 1 is still cold.
If you add up the 8grain cereal as part of the flour, this is a 100% hydrated dough: total flour is 456g, and the total water is the same. I did not expect to be able to knead this dough. But I did turn it out on a floured surface to try to shape it a bit. Then I just placed it in a basket lined with a floured couche, and left it to sit for about 8 hours.
It was probably ready long before that, but I had to leave to cut down the Christmas tree, so the dough had to wait.
At 2 hours: ready, but I had to leave!
6 hours later....
brushing off this excessive flour might have added some trauma to the saggy loaf
chimney docked and scored
I ended up baking it on a hot stone with steam, 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, then another 50 minutes at 400 degrees F.
The loaf settled a lot in the oven. I got a really flat loaf.
And it should have baked longer.
It smells fresh, but it tastes rather bland.
Notes to Myself
- Bad idea.