All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Lahey Style Rye Bread with Whole Wheat, Rye Starter, and All Purpose flours



A Lahey-style Rye Bread

You know, looking back on the various rye breads I've made, none has impressed me more than a rye and whole wheat loaf I made, long ago.  If you peruse the crumb gallery, you can find this loaf:




 The link will take you to a day where I made 3 different rye loaves; this one was the second loaf, a 3:1 whole wheat to rye loaf made using Lahey's methods.

Looking at it now, I wonder why it rose so well.  It had used rye but no sourdough.  It had used whole wheat flour, no bread flour or all purpose flour.  And I began to wonder, what if?…

What if…

* I used some all purpose, in addition to that whole wheat flour?
* I used some sourdough?
* What if I used some of my homemade sourdough yeast?

I've incorporated some of these ideas here.  The amount of rye in this one is different from the 'wonderful loaf' I made in the past, though: it is a 50% rye, and only 75% whole grain; 25% of the wheat flour is all purpose.

Ingredients:
  • 100g freshly milled whole wheat
  • 100g rye flour
  • 100g all purpose flour
  • 200g rye starter @100% hydration
  • 200g water
  • 8g salt
  • 2g commercial yeast
  • 2g my homemade sourdough yeast





Method:
Mix it all together
Leave it covered for 18 hours.
Stretch it and fold it like Lahey describes.
Shape it.
Put it in a couche and basket for a couple of hours.
Bake in a casserole dish.









Results:

Yummy.


This was a fairly nice tasting bread, but it didn't see the nice rises I wanted, and I used a too-small casserole dish, making it slightly misshapen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment