All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pizza #3 - garden asparagus baked in the barbeque


This was Lahey's thin dough.  I decided to try and bake it on the barbeque.  This is the first time I've ever done it this way, and the only way I'll ever get the pizza dough this hot (up to 700 degrees F), because my oven doesn't go that high.  I placed one baking stone on the barbeque, and the other one I loaded with the dough and toppings, intending to slide the cold stone on top of the hot one.

The plan worked well.  I put some olive oil on the stone, and spread out the dough.  Then I put some olive oil on the dough as well.  From here, I put on 'the toppings':

  • oregano
  • turmeric
  • garden asparagus
  • olives
  • mozzarella
  • old cheddar
  • parmesan cheese for the edge
This would have been sufficient, had I stopped here.  But instead, I made a critical error.  I still had a little bit of nutritional yeast and bran left over from today's experiment, and so I sprinkled it over everything else.  This actually made the pizza almost too bitter for my wife to eat.  She complained of its dryness.  I suppose it was the bran more than the nutritional yeast, but she doesn't like either, and thinks that the yeast tastes bad, "as in turned bad."  Personally, I don't mind it, and I rather like the bitter taste of bran.  I think that it is what you get used to.

I baked it for ten minutes on the barbeque.  Every few minutes I checked on it, and that caused the temperature to drop for a bit from the 700 range to 620 or so.  But it was cooked in that time.

I ate most of this pizza as my wife did not like it.

Notes to Myself:
  • Keep bran away from the toppings of the pizza, it is too bitter for most people's taste.
  • Make sure that there is enough moisture in the toppings so that the high temperatures don't dry out the pizza
  • Keep the edge moist - parmasen cheese is too dry for the edge

No comments:

Post a Comment