All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Everyday Bread #20 - Healthy Bread in 5 Master Recipe


I used up the rest of the dough I mixed up the other day (Healthy Bread in 5 Master Recipe) in this experiment.  I preheated the stone as usual, but instead of trying to move the risen formed loaf onto it, I tried (carefully) pouring the risen dough from an oiled bowl onto the hot stone.  I tried to not deflate it much as a used a spatula to help pour the dough onto the hot stone.


I was hoping that by doing this, the dough would not be flattening out too much.  I only took enough time to paint water on it, sprinkle some red rive cereal on top of it, score it, take a picture, and place it back in the oven to bake.

The loaf turned out okay, but I think it should have risen more than it did.  I'm still seeing a bit of flattening rather than rising -- and I think that this is because the dough sat out for longer than 2 hours at the initial rise, before going into the refrigerator.


Notes to Myself:

  • When making a '5 min/day' recipe, make sure that the dough doesn't rise longer than the specified 2 hours before it goes into the fridge.  The reason is, you want the yeast to remain active in the initial stages of baking when the loaf is first placed into the oven.
  • This technique (pouring the dough onto a hot stone) works well -- except you must be careful that the bowl you greased doesn't slip from your hands onto the hot stone.  The stone will be too hot to touch with a naked hand: you will have to pour the dough very carefully or risk getting burned.
  • Keep all ingredients close at hand (the water you will paint on, the seeds you will sprinkle, etc.) so you minimize the time the stone is out of the oven.
  • A higher oven temperature both in the preheating and the initial baking stage may give you a crispier crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment