All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Whole Wheat Sourdough with Buttermilk Hydration




I have been curious about buttermilk as a hydrating liquid for a whole wheat bread for a while now.  Some yeasted whole wheat breads have buttermilk as an ingredient instead of water (e.g. Mildred Orton's recipe).  I just wanted to try it in my sourdough bread to see what it would do to the crumb.


The extra fat in the liquid certainly does have an effect.  I think that it made the interior a bit more soft and tender, the holes smaller and more uniform.  It probably also gave it some more sweetness.  It may have caused the crust to be a bit thicker, though.



I had 760g of buttermilk to use, but it didn't seem to be hydrated enough, so I added another 45g of water to the dough.  Then it was workable.  One might measure this as 80.5% of hydration, but the whole weight of the buttermilk shouldn't be counted as hydration probably.


Notes to Myself
  • Curious that milk should be scalded before using in a bread, but buttermilk doesn't need to? Why is that?
  • I'm starting to go by "feel" of the dough now, rather than slavishly sticking to recipes.  Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment