All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Everyday Bread #64 - Revisiting No Knead 100% Rye and 100% Whole Wheat Sourdoughs


No Knead 100% Rye and 100% Whole Wheat Sourdoughs

I've made these loaves again (see the last blog posting for the initial test).  What's different?

This time I am using older sourdough discard.  I can smell the hooch on it.  It is distinctly sour and alcoholic.  I am also trying to enrich the rye with oil and honey, to see if it makes any difference (I didn't do this to the whole wheat loaf).  And I am trying out the volume measurements, rather than weighing everything.

Rye Ingredients -- Whole Wheat ingredients


Mixing the Rye and Mixing the Whole Wheat

The doughs are not kneaded, but are panned and pressed down.

I did weigh the ingredients for the rye and found the grams slightly less this time around for the discard, and the volume measurements I gave for the various ingredients.  I also noted that my earlier volume measurement for the Instant Dry Yeast was now far too low: to get 4 grams of IDY, I needed 3/4 tsp, not 1/4 tsp.  So that is what I used.  Other than that, I only used the volume measurements if I was 'in the ballpark'.

As to be expected, the time for the initial rise was much longer.  Rather than 30-60 minutes, this old starter and less yeast than last time meant that the rise required 4 1/2 hours.

After 4 1/2 hours, the risen loaves are painted with plain yogurt


Everything else was the same: except, my rye loaf broke in half while trying to take it from the pan while it was still hot.

Fresh from the Oven - on the same day we canned Crab-apple Juice


The top crust, made with yogurt over the old sourdough gives the loaf a rather strange appearance, almost like baked custard.  It is a very interesting texture, too.  This time I didn't sprinkle the top with more flour.


While both loaves taste okay, I prefer the taste of the non-enriched rye loaf, so from now on I won't make these loaves using any sort of enrichment. 

Notes to Myself
  •  Don't enrich these loaves.  They taste better without extra oil and sugar.
  • The latest recipe from this experiment.  All measures are in grams by weight, or approximate by volume.



    Ingredient%Rye amountRye volumeWhole Wheat amountWhole Wheat volume
    Flour1004233 1/4c4403 c
    ID Yeast0.8
    (i.e. 1)

    4
    3/4 tsp43/4 tsp
    Starter92.7392your discard406your discard
    Water85.4361
    (298 if oil)
    1 1/2 c
    (1 1/4 c if oil)
    376
    (308 if oil)
    1 1/4 c
    (7/8 c if oil)
    Salt281 1/4 tsp91 1/4 tsp

    Directions: Mix your motherstarter (discards) with the amounts of flour, yeast, salt and water as indicated by this table. Use your hands to ensure all the flour is well hydrated. Pour the dough into a well-buttered tin. Cover and proof until the dough fills the pan, (or the rye dough, lightly floured with rye, starts to crack the surface). Min 30-90 minutes, Max 4 1/2-5 hrs. Just before baking, paint with plain yogurt and a sprinkling of flour. Place in a preheated 450 degree F. oven (with steam during the early part of the bake) for 45-50 minutes, turning once during the bake. Remove from the tin and cool completely on a rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment