All grains contain peptides that mimic morphine or endogenous opioid substances. This is where I deal with my latest loaf craving. Get your bread-based exorphin fix here.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

wtf loaf

 A WTF loaf

This was a rather crazy bread.  Sort of looks rude.  That's why I call it the 'WTF' loaf.

It was supposed to be a baguette.  Now you can laugh.

My wife wondered if I had a bread that would go with lasagna.  I didn't, but I thought I'd have a go at a 'freehand baguette'. 

I had some leftover sourdough starter, and added some all purpose flour, some whole wheat flour, and some spelt flour in amounts that no one wants to know, because, hey, who would want to replicate this?  I also tossed in some pepitas.

Actually, I don't think that I measured anything, to be honest with you.

WTF happened?
It was a bit too moist, and the spelt and the sourdough wouldn't allow the gluten to form when I came to roll it out.  I was going to bake it on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  It was so saggy, it drooped when I moved it to the baking sheet.  At that point, it wasn't going to fit in a straight line any more, so I just curled it to fit the parchment.

I wasn't trying to make it look like a dong, it just happened.

The strange thing is, despite how rude it looks, it tastes okay.  And sliced small, and coated with garlic butter, it was fine when served with the lasagna. 



But with company coming, I could only show the cut pieces, not the actual loaf.  Too rude.

Notes to Myself
  • Don't call it a baguette until you actually figure out how to bake a baguette.
  • This turned out to be pretty nice garlic bread -- except you baked it too long, and it became too crusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment